Do you suffer from priority inflation? Are your to-do lists just not working? Well, fret no more!
Will deBock shared some geek-inspired knowledge from David Allen with Kaplanites at a CTL Live! IL session. At the session, Will confessed he needs help. I need help too, Will! I felt like I should stand in front of the group and say, “Hi, I’m Laurie and I need help with getting things done.” (Shhh! Don’t tell anyone!)
This is not exactly a 12 step program, but Will did share a list of insights or “nuts and bolts of the Getting Things Done (GTD) System”:
1. “Knowledge Work” does not play well with traditional time management systems.
2. Your brain “ain’t so great” at retaining information and tasks.
3. Your system must be trusted in order for your brain to stop fretting and get creative.
4. Capture everything.
5. Think (a little about categorizing) for everything.
6. De-clutter non-actionable items.
7. Projects are illusions; they are merely a series of sequential steps.
8. Actions are conscious decisions about commitments.
In his session, Will also mentioned computer memory, RAM and ROM, and how we need enough for our systems to run appropriately. Same goes for our thinking (see insight #2). It helps if we get our tasks out of our heads (see insight #3) and organized in a program like Toodledo (see insight #4).
Time saving tips = more sleep! Well-rested me = PRODUCTIVITY and makes me a happy monster!