I came across this blog article by Laura Walker and I liked it: Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. Written more from a K-12 traditional classroom teacher perspective, I still think it captures principles for online College teachers also.
Here is the list:
- Together we’re better
- Global or local: you choose
- Self-awareness and reflective practice
- Ideas workshop and sounding board
- Newsroom and innovation showcase
- Professional development and critical friends
- Quality-assured searching
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
- Getting with the times has never been so easy!
And here is an excerpt from the article from rule #1, “Together we are better”:
Teaching can be a lonely business. … not enough conversations between teachers I work with are about learning. We simply don’t have time. Twitter can be like a virtual staffroom for me, which I can step into when it suits me: in the queue at the supermarket or waiting for for the kettle to boil. I know that within seconds I can access a stream of links, ideas, opinion and resources from a hand-picked selection of global professionals.
I’ll see you on the web!